Category Archives: Elberton GA

Swearingen House, Early 1900s, Elberton

Historic Elberton GA Swearingen House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Representative Paul Brown’s daughter, Rosalyn, a founding member of the Elbert County Historical Society, once lived here.

Elberton Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

Z. W. Copeland House, Elberton

Historic Elberton GA Colonial Revival House Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Elberton Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

Oliver Street, Elberton

Historic Downtown Elberton GA Oliver Street Storefronts Old Volkswagen Beetle Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Oliver Street runs right through the heart of downtown Elberton and it’s lined with historic buildings. This was one of my favorite shots from the trip.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

Norman Automotive Service, Elberton

Elberton GA Norman Automotive Service Garage Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

History isn’t always pretty old houses and country churches. Independent businesses like this, which were once the norm in our small towns, are getting rarer.

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

Doug Anderson’s Barber Shop, Elberton

Doug Andersons Barber Shop Downtown Elberton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Here are two “window” shots of Doug Anderson’s Barber Shop, which almost looks like a museum. It’s located in the basement of the old First National Bank Building and is a local landmark in itself.

Doug Andersons Barber Shop Elberton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

First National Bank Building, Elberton

Historic Elberton GA Old Elbert County Hospital and First National Bank Building Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Anna King notes that this was the Elbert County Hospital in the First National Bank Building and it was on the 4th floor first. Then it took over the entire building in 1929. It closed in 1950 and a new one was built on Chestnut Street. Doug Anderson’s barber shop is located in the basement.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

First Presbyterian Church, 1909, Elberton

Historic First Presbyterian Church Elberton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

C. I. Stacy was pastor at the time of construction. W. M. Wilcox, W. L. Skelton, and E. P. Harris were the trustees. W. E. Wallis was the architect.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

Philomather Lodge #25, 1891, Elberton

Historic Elberton GA Philomather Lodge 25 Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

From 1891-1995, the second floor of this served as the home of the Philomather Lodge #25, Free & Accepted Masons. The first floor served as the Harris-Allen Library from 1891-1969. It’s now known as the Bozeman Building and is owned by the United Methodist Church.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

First United Methodist Church, 1889, Elberton

Historic First United Methodist Church Elberton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

In History of the First Methodist Church of Elberton, Georgia, John T. Dennis notes that the first church built by this congregation was a wood-frame building, erected in 1848. The present structure was erected in 1888-89.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA

First Baptist Church, 1897, Elberton

Elberton GA Historic First Baptist Church Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

First Baptist Church was organized in 1860 and the cornerstone for this structure was laid in 1897. It was the third chapel used by the congregation and was replaced by a newer facility in 1965. This beautiful old church is still in use, serving as chapel and sanctuary for the Hispanic congregation.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --ELBERT COUNTY GA--, Elberton GA