Category Archives: Culloden GA

Abandoned Warehouse, Culloden

Culloden GA Monroe County Abandoned Warehouse Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

The area around Culloden was first settled in 1739 by Scottish Highlanders who came from eastern Georgia. It was many years later, after 1780, that the settlement came to be named Cullodenville after William Culloden.

Culloden GA Monroe County Abandoned Warehouse Door Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Culloden GA Monroe County Abandoned Warehouse Door Overgrown Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

The three brick tiles seen below (and left of the door above) were likely a patch.

Culloden GA Monroe County Abandoned Warehouse Ornamental Brick Patchwork Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA

Queen Anne House, Culloden

Culloden GA Monroe County Landmark House Once Used as Railroad Hotel Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

I was told that this once served as boarding house or hotel.

Culloden Historic District,  National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA

Battle of Culloden Historic Marker

Battle of Culloden GA Civil War Historic Marker Wilsons Raiders Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

On April 19, 1865, a part of Wilson’s Federal Raiders, moving toward Macon, encountered the “Worrill Grays” near this spot. The “Grays,” numbering less than 200 men, fought a magnificent battle, greatly outnumbered. After a two-hour battle they finally yielded to the superior force, leaving their dead and wounded in Federal hands. So fierce was the fighting that the two men in the 17th Indiana (mounted) Infantry who captured the flag of this fighting unit, were awarded Medals of Honor by the United States Government.

This marker was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1956.

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA

Slave Cemetery, Culloden

Culloden GA Historic Marker for Slave Cemetery Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Placed in 2000, adjacent to the Culloden City Cemetery, this memorial reads: We know not who they are, but they are loved ones of God and man and will never be forgotten.

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA

William Culloden, Founder of Culloden

William Culloden Headstone Grave Found of Culloden GA Monroe County Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Though this headstone is almost unreadable, a brick wall erected beside it notes that it is the burial place, in 1823, of William Culloden, founder of the village that bears his name. Culloden was a Scottish Highlander who settled the area around 1780 and the setlement was named Cullodenville in his honor until it was incoporated in 1887 at which time the name was shortened to Culloden.

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

 

2 Comments

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA

Culloden City Cemetery

Culloden GA Historic Antebellum Cemetery Monroe County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This historic cemetery has quite a few antebellum headstones and is well-maintained.

Historic Headstones of Culloden City Cemetery

Culloden GA City Cemetery Obelisk Headstone of William Henry Harrison Doyal Photogpraph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

William Henry Harrison Doyal (September 1840-9 August 1841)

He was the son of L. T. & Matilda Doyal. The Doyals were obviously Whigs and supporters of William Henry Harrison, who was running for President around the time of this child’s birth.

Culloden GA Historic Antebellum Cemetery Monroe County Foster Plot Cast Iron Ornamental Fence Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

John S. Foster (9 July 1784-16 October 1858) (r) & Martha Foster (10 April 1792-26 June 1856)

Culloden GA City Cemetery Sculptural Infant Headstone Child of B. F. Mary J. Jordan Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Infant Child of  B. F. & Mary J. Jordan – Died 8 March 1860

Culloden GA Historic Cemetery Early 19th Century Headstone Eliza Speer Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Mr. Eliza Speer, Late Wife of Reverend Alexander Speer

She died 12th October 1838 With Strong faith in Glorious Immortality

Culloden GA City Cemetery Obelisk Headstone of Reverend Robert Flournoy Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Reverend Robert Flournoy (1797?-6 April 1854)

Culloden GA City Cemetery Headstones of John and Mary Sneed Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

John Sneed (3 April 1773-22 September 1850) & Mary Sneed (7 January 1787-19 May 1858)

The headstones note that Mr. Sneed was a Virginia native and his consort a Rhode Island native. Below is a detail of the angel on Mrs. Sneed’s headstone.

Culloden GA City Cemetery Sculptural Angel Headstone of Mary Sneed Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA

Culloden United Methodist Church, 1893, Monroe County

Culloden United Methodist Church Monroe County GA Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Though the present building dates to 1893 and is said to be the oldest brick Methodist church standing in Georgia, the congregation is much older, having been established in 1809. Culloden was a detour on the way home after a long trip to Northwest Georgia last weekend, but what a pleasant detour it turned out to be. We met Sarah Ray, who upon seeing us photographing the building, invited us in to see the interior. She’s among the oldest members of the church, though you’d never know it by her infectious spirit and the pride she has in this small congregation. She and here late husband, Eric Lloyd Ray, were active members for many years.

Culloden United Methodist Church Sarah Ray Monroe County GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Sarah noted that she had watched the congregation dwindle over the past few decades to the point that only 20 or 30 attend services regularly today, but she remains faithful that the church will continue to be an anchor for the small town. She echoed a sentiment I’ve heard from a dear friend of mine who’s a retired Methodist bishop that the church as a “business” continues to downsize and weed out the smallest congregations as their upkeep has become impractical. We both agreed that that wasn’t the way it should be.

Culloden United Methodist Church Monroe County GA Interior Stained Glass Pews Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

But if every church has someone like Sarah Ray, there will always be hope.

Culloden United Methodist Church Monroe County GA Interior Stained Glass Balcony Rooms Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --MONROE COUNTY GA--, Culloden GA