Category Archives: –COWETA COUNTY GA–

Willcoxon House, Circa 1860, Sargent

Colonel John B. Willcoxon built this house around the time he opened a grist mill near Wahoo Creek in the Lodi community. The grist mill opened in 1861 and remained in operation for five years. In 1866, with partners H. J. and George Sargent of Massachusetts, Colonel Willcoxon established the Willcoxon Manufacturing Company to produce cotton rope. The large four-story factory attracted many rural families to the area and primarily employed women and children. This was long before child labor laws prohibited such employment.

In 1888, H. C. Arnall, Sr., and T. G. Farmer purchased the enterprise and renamed it the Wahoo Manufacturing Company. The name of the town was officially changed to Sargent in 1892.

Sargent Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Sargent GA

Old Post Office, 1892, Sargent

This served as the post office until 1982.

Sargent Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Sargent GA

Historic Storefronts, Senoia

Many of the storefronts in downtown Senoia are reconstructions of earlier structures but some of the older commercial architecture, as seen above, survives.

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA

Mann-Whatley House, 1910, Senoia

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA

Freeman-Fiorini House, 1924, Senoia

This house was designed by Leila Ross Wilburn, Atlanta’s first woman architect and one of the first in Georgia.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA

Craftsman Bungalow, 1920, Senoia

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA

Arnall-Belisle House, Circa 1893, Senoia

This originally served as a children’s hospital.

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA

McKnight-Mann House, Circa 1905, Senoia

This was built by Captain W. D. Linch, who owned the house next door, for hist daughter Mary upon her marriage to C. C. McKnight.

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA

Captain W. D. Linch House, Circa 1888, Senoia

Captain W. D. Linch saw Civil War service at Manassas and Gettysburg and was present at Lee’s surrender at Appomattox.

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA

Craftsman Bungalow, Senoia

Senoia Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COWETA COUNTY GA--, Senoia GA