Category Archives: Canon GA

Canon Unitarian Universalist Church, Circa 1900, Franklin County

The Canon Unitarian Universalist Church was established as the Canon Universalist Church in 1885. In 1896, John M. Bowers purchased the Universalist Herald from John C. Burruss of Notasulga, Alabama, and it was published in Canon until 1991. The congregation remains active.

Historic Churches of Canon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

 

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA

Canon United Methodist Church, 1907, Franklin County

The Methodist church at Canon was established by Reverend John F. Yarborough in 1905 and built by James Fleming in 1907. Reverend Yarborough served as the first pastor.

Historic Churches of Canon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA

Canon Baptist Church, 1896, Franklin County

Along Georgia Highway 17 in Canon are three turn-of-the-century churches which collectively make up the Historic Churches of Canon Historic District. Canon Baptist is the oldest of the three structures, dating to 1896. A newer structure now serves the congregation, but the old church is still maintained and used for special events.

Historic Churches of Canon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA

Historic Storefront, Canon

Canon Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA

Mabry’s Grocery, Canon

This was home to Mabry’s Grocery for many years. A Coca-Cola mural with the store name once adorned the building but was painted over at some time. It was possibly home to another store in earlier years.

Canon Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA

Bank Buildings, Canon

Two old banks survive in Canon, indications of a thriving existence in the early 20th century. Both likely failed during the Great Depression.

Canon Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA

Cheek Store Building, 1907, Canon

J. A. & B. F. Cheek owned this large storefront on Depot Street. The facade on the left has been altered but the larger section on the right retains recessed entryways and imprinted marble kickplates identifying the Cheeks and the year of construction.

Canon Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --FRANKLIN COUNTY GA--, Canon GA