Category Archives: Athens GA

Fuller’s Grocery Building, Circa 1906, Athens

Now home to Daily Groceries Co-Op, this was originally known as Fuller’s Grocery. The proprietors lived upstairs in the early years of the business.

Cobbham Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under --CLARKE COUNTY GA--, Athens GA

The President’s House, Circa 1856, Athens

This landmark of the Greek Revival was built by John Thomas Grant, who later sold it to Benjamin Harvey Hill. In 1883 it was sold to James White, whose daughter W. F. Bradshaw inherited it upon his death. It was acquired by the Bradley Foundation in Columbus from the Bradshaw estate in the 1940s and in 1949, it was given to the University of Georgia to be used as the president’s house.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under Athens GA

Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 1899, Athens

Emmanuel is the oldest Episcopal congregation in Athens, dating to 1842. When Dr. Richard Dudley Moore brought his new wife, Elizabeth Stockton, to Athens in 1835 she was concerned that there was no Episcopal church in the city. The daughter of the governor of Delaware and a granddaughter of a signer of the Declaration of Independence, Elizabeth had been a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in her native state. When the congregation was organized by Dr. William Bacon Stevens, the name was chosen to honor her. A New England-style structure was built in 1843 but by the 1890s the congregation had outgrown it. The cornerstone was laid in 1895 and this Gothic chapel, sided in Georgia granite, was completed in 1899.

Cobbham Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --CLARKE COUNTY GA--, Athens GA

Corner of Hill & Pope Streets, Athens

North Pope Street crosses Hill Street near the triangle formed by their intersection with Prince Avenue. Several historic commercial structures, as well as an early fire station, are located in this area.

Cobbham Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CLARKE COUNTY GA--, Athens GA

T. R. R. Cobb House, Circa 1834 & 1852, Athens

The T. R. R. Cobb House is one of Georgia’s great preservation success stories. It is thought that Thomas H. McKinley built the original section as a Plantation Plain circa 1834. Georgia’s first Chief Justice, Joseph Henry Lumpkin, bought it from McKinley in 1842 and gave it as a wedding gift to his daughter Marion and son-in-law Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb in 1844. The portico and octagonal wings were added in 1852.

Cobb served as reporter of the State Supreme Court from 1849-1857, founded the Lucy Cobb Institute in 1858, and with his father-in-law and William H. Hull founded the School of Law at the University of Georgia in 1859. One of the leading advocates of slavery and secession, he was killed at Fredericksburg in 1862. Marion lived in the house until 1873. It was later a rental property, fraternity house, and boarding house. In 1962, it was purchased by the Archdiocese of Atlanta for the use of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. Threatened with demolition in the 1980s, it was moved to Stone Mountain Park in 1985. It was never restored or used by the Stone Mountain Memorial Association due to budgetary constraints. Thanks to efforts of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation, and the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, the landmark was returned to Athens in 2005. The Watson-Brown Foundation oversaw restoration of the house, which is now a museum.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CLARKE COUNTY GA--, Athens GA

Edward Baker Mell House, Circa 1886, Athens

Edward Baker Mell was the author of Reminisces of Athens, Georgia: About 1880 to 1900. It’s unclear who the original owner was, but Mell moved here around 1889.

Cobbham Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CLARKE COUNTY GA--, Athens GA

Deloney-Hull-DeMarco House, Circa 1894, Athens

Cobbham Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --CLARKE COUNTY GA--, Athens GA