This Greek Revival mansion was built by Alfred Clopton and was the centerpiece of what was originally a 23-acre estate. It was sold to Major Anderson Comer of Jones County in 1844. Comer raised his family here, including his three daughters known as the “Comer Belles”. One of the Comer girls married James J. Winter and they lived here until the early 1900s. During the ownership of T. E. Merritt, the house was modified and the stucco siding added. Judge E. P. Johnston was the last private owner; it was sold to Drs. William Orr and Oscar Spivey in 1963 and the interior was modified for use as offices.
Vineville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places