The Royston Methodist Church was established in 1877 by Reverend Samuel Gaines, when the community was still known as Cross Roads. The first services were held in a log school house on Franklin Springs Road. A frame church was built circa 1880 as the congregation had outgrown the school house, but it was destroyed by a tornado in 1886. A second house of worship replaced it in 1888. It was replaced by the present structure in 1911.