As John Linley wrote in The Architecture of Middle Georgia: The Oconee Area, “Greek Revival architecture seems to have reached a certain perfection in [this] house.” Originally thought to have been built circa 1836, research now indicates that construction took place between 1852-1854. It was built for Daniel & Elizabeth Trippe Slade. Slade came to Eatonton from Litchfield, Connecticut, around 1828 and after a brief teaching career operated a successful mercantile business for many years. The house was sold to a local judge, named Wingfield, around the turn of the last century and his family remained there until 1975.
Eatonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places