Like so many other rural congregations, England Chapel Methodist began meeting in a brush arbor in 1885 until the construction of a permanent home. The property upon which this church was built was given by D. N. Carmichael in 1887 and a local mill operator, J. B. Settle, offered to prepare the timber for the construction. Members from the surrounding community cut trees on their property and donated it to the church, which they also helped build. It still serves members today.