Also known as the Lewis-Mills House, this grand Greek Revival was built for the Lewis family, who came to the South from Massachusetts. Mrs. Emily W. Lewis was living in the house with her granddaughter, Lavonia Hammond, during the Civil War. Lavonia recalled that the house served as a hospital for Confederate soldiers and hosted Alexander H. Stephens, Robert Toombs, and Benjamin Harvey Hill, all good friends of her father. In 1878, Lavonia married John B. Mills and they resided in the house with Lavonia’s grandmother. When Mrs. Lewis died in 1901, John Mills purchased the house from his wife’s siblings. When Lavonia Hammond Mills died in 1936, the house passed out of the family’s hands. It had numerous owners in subsequent years and was eventually subdivided into apartments. After falling into disrepair it was restored and is now the office of a law firm.
National Register of Historic Places