Jackson, located midway between Atlanta and Macon, was founded in 1826 and named for James Jackson. While serving in the U. S. Senate, Jackson resigned his seat to return to Georgia where he ran for and was elected to the legislature for the sole purpose of exposing the Yazoo Land Fraud. This was one of the most admirable anti-corruption efforts in the early history of the nation.
Like many other Georgia towns, Jackson features a courthouse square surrounding by commercial storefronts.
This looks like an old bank; it’s now home to the Butts County Water & Sewer Authority.
Another old drug store on the square, and this one is still open.