Peter Lamar (1789-1847), the first owner of this house, was one of the pioneer settlers of Lincolnton. He served as a State Representative for the terms of 1811 and 1812 and was the commissioner of Lincolnton when it was established in 1817. From 1816-1834 he was Clerk of the Superior Court of Lincoln County and was a State Senator from 1834-1838. He also served as a justice of the Inferior Court from 1837-1844, and as a captain of the local militia.
National Register of Historic Places