Now known as the Cox Capitol Theatre, for its chief corporate sponsor, Macon’s historic Capitol Theatre is a symbol of revitalization in the downtown area. Built in 1897 for the Commercial Savings & Loan Company, it soon became home to the Strong Shoe Company, which would remain there until 1915. The Capitol Theatre opened around 1917 and was the first public space in Macon to have air conditioning. Following its closure as a first-run theatre in 1975, the structure fell into disrepair. After renovation, it reopened in 2006 and is now a venue for concerts and independent and historic films.
Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places