Wisteria Hall was built in 1795 and originally faced north toward the old Augusta Highway. In 1824, Miss Maria Randolph, a descendant of Pocahontas, purchased the house and transformed it into a showplace. Maria was a well-loved hostess famous for big parties and dances. She added a dining room to the house and it was known to be the largest entertainment space in town. Soon after she moved in, Main Street was extended from the Town Square beyond Wisteria Hall and at this time she added the portico and reoriented of the house to face south.
The walls in the parlor are original to the house and were made of clay, horsehair and lime, with the horsehair used as a binder. 18″ crown moldings and rimlocks are also original and intact.
During the Civil War, Logan Bleckley of Rabun County was an occasional visitor at Wisteria Hall. He would go onto to become a Chief Justice of the Georgia Supreme Court, a philosopher and mathematician.
Future President Woodrow Wilson was also a guest at Wisteria Hall in his youth.
East Robert Toombs Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
In 1995, Jim and Jane Bundy bought and extensively restored this landmark and transformed it into a bed and breakfast. It’s presently for sale.