Built by William H. Pope in 1832 in the Federal style, Washington’s grandest home was given to Henry Allen Tupper in 1853 by his wife’s father, Ker Boyce of Charleston. Tupper, a well-loved Baptist minister, remodeled the house in 1860 by adding the 18 fluted Doric columns which surround it. Families who owned the house before the Tuppers included: Pope, Willis, Bowdre Semmes, Tupper and Kemme.
Edward Augustus Barnett purchased the house in 1908 and it remained in the Barnett family for nearly a century.
National Historic Landmark