Robert West Alston built this grand home around 1817. It was originally a simply vernacular form, facing Short Street, but was remodeled shortly before the Civil War by Captain Richard Bolling Baxter, with the present porch added to face Maiden Lane. J. H. Burnet bought the house around 1830. Charles Whitehead and the Robert Wiley family have been some of the home’s other owners. It’s commonly known as the Alston-Wiley House.
Sparta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places