Though it was built by H. Stewart Wooten, the owner/operator of a very successful early 20th-century stationery and book store in downtown Milledgeville, this house is now known almost exclusively as the Bone House. It houses the International Education Center of Georgia College & State University. It mimics in spirit the Milledgeville-Federal style houses prominent throughout this part of the city. It was purchased in 1972 by Frank Bone, owner of the Bone Brick Company, and given to the college in honor of his wife. According to the newsletter of the International Education Center Terra Nostra (Spring 2012): [the Bones] were ahead of their time. Mr. Bone expressed pleasure that the school was showing interest in the racial questions and problems of the day. In 1935 he and his wife joined former President Guy Herbert Wells and his wife in providing transportation for leaders of the student Young Women’s Christian Association to Fort Valley Normal & Industrial School, the black college nearest Milledgeville, where the visit provoked Mrs. J. E. Andrews, head of the Women’s National Association for the Preservation of the White Race, and nearly brought the removal of President Wells.
Milledgeville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places